Friday, April 3, 2009

I believe that we all need to get back to nature. I am not saying that I have achieved this feat, but I understand the growing need for the push toward more natural living. Natural in what we eat, drink, breath and how we live.

Recently I have been experimenting with essential oils. These oils are amazingly therapeutic. With enough study, you can learn to use essential oils in place of the “medicines” that you now rely on for many minor aches and pains.

Herbs are another substance that I have been very interested in lately. There is an herb or combination of herbs for just about every condition known to man. Well, maybe that is an exaggeration, but you get my point.

One morning as my son was getting ready to leave for work I handed him a bottle of herbs that I had bought for him.

“What’s this?” he said. “It is a combination of herbs that help the respiratory system.” I said, “It should help with your asthma so that you do not have to use your inhaler as much!” I said, proud of myself for finding a solution to this long-term problem. Turning the bottle around in his hand, he reads the label. “Uh…” he said, “Mom! These are just spices!”

How far have we come, in our society, that we scoff at the most natural of God’s provisions?

In my efforts to get closer to nature, in the food we eat and the medicines we use, I have been putting together recipes from essential oils to help with a great variety of things in our home. Things like air purifying oils, soaps, antibiotic spray, and so forth. My family tease me about this because, like many people living in our modern world, they have forgotten that many things we need and use on a daily basis can be found in nature.

My daughter has been telling me about how they have changed their whole way of eating. They are buying only fresh organic fruits, veggies and meat, and using only safe and natural ingredients to prepare their meals. Food made from things that your great-great grandmother would consider food. While I know that this is a wonderful thing, I am a little hesitant to dive into a world where it seems my life will become more complicated. We will see. I am going for a visit at my daughter’s home this coming week and will be able to observe, first hand, what life is like on the inside of natural whole-food living.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! You are so right - getting back to nature is vital if we're going to survive as a society. I firmly believe the increased illnesses we are seeing (salmonella?)are a result of our over-dependence on chemicals.

    Great food for thought!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need a new "back to nature" blog post! :-)

    ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice post, all the best to clarify your doubt. Nowadays people like to take yoga for fitness. what do you think about it?

    ReplyDelete